Fire Death in Cincinnati Could a Working Smoke detector Saved a Life

West Chester, Mason, and Cincinnati Ohio

Since being involved in a fire injury and death case where there was not a working smoke detector I have learned a lot. Now every time I see a fire I look to see what they say about the smoke detector. Unfortunately the newspapers are not always right.  But again it was reported that "Fire detectors weren't sounding on the building's second floor" according to residents,  in a Cincinnati Mt Washington apartment complex and a life was taken. They attribute even more injuries if a hero, Owen Brooks  would not have knocked on the doors arousing people. Many questions come to mind.  First and foremost is why didn't the smoke detector(s) go off. Did the landlord provide the appropriate working smoke detectors. Did they become defective because the battery was disconnected or no longer worked. Were these battery operating. Could corr0sion have been a problem. Could the smoke detectors have  been ionic. The kind that don't go off effectively with just smoke . Yes the public is little informed about this. Wxix just did a spot on this problem.  So many questions are unanswered . But if the detctor(s) did not go off, something was wrong somewhere. The hero is attributing to allerting many  in the apartment to the fire and saving lives. That's what a well manufactured , well designed and maintained smoke detector should do. Landlords please  know this. You need to install photoelectric smoke detectors. You need to make sure that when a tenant moves in they are working.  You should not keep these detectors for more that 10 years. You should provide your tenant written instructutions on how to check the smoke detector and to call you if there is a problem .  You need to respond immediatley if you get notice from your tenant that a smoke detector is not working I also urge the Cincinnati fire department to not only stablish cause and origin , but to non destructively test the smoke detector and not just turn it over to the insurance company, but save it so a thorough investigation of the smoke detector can be done. Here is the link to the story, though not as detailed as the article  in the March 4 2011 edition of the Enquirer. Mt Washinton Fire by Anthony Castelli Cincinnati personal injury lawyer